Seed Tick College
In the early 1900’s, Mrs. Lillie Donelson taught school in a house that was originally built as a possession cabin and which is referred to by the students who attended there as “Seed Tick College”. The one-room building was located on Seed Tick Branch, between Mowbrey and Polly’s Branch Gulf. The approximate 12’ x 15’ building had wooden shutters to cover open windows.
About twenty students attended the elementary school, which was a subscription school.
One former student remembers the day when classes were temporarily interrupted by a wild turkey peering inquisitively through the open door.
After about three years there, the classes were held in the Donelson home in Mowbrey.