Glade Creek School
Glade Creek School is 2.4 miles north of the junction with West Ravenscroft Road. John Massa sold twenty acres of land, lying on Glade Creek and including the schoolhouse where old Master Kerr taught to William Kerr on August 7, 1838. At that time the property was a part of White County.
Later T. L. Johnson sold the land and schoolhouse known as Glade Creek to the Putnam County School Board to be used as church and public school house. It was described as being in Putnam County, Bk. 18, pp. 530-531; October 15, 1909.The only teacher on record was Verla Hennessee Pinson who wrote a book on her early teaching experiences called The Mountaineer Teacher of Tennessee. She related happenings at the six schools at which she taught in White County, the one in Alabama, the one in Overton County, and the one in Putnam County, which was Glade Creek School. She had determined to teach outside the county where the terms were longer. The superintendent of Putnam County, Mr. Gentry, told her she was too young and too small, but she insisted. The assistant in the school had been run off after two months the year before, and the principal had been run off after three months. Half the homes in Glade Creek were Czechoslovakian. The families had come from Wheeling, West Virginia to work in the coal mines. She visited homes, played baseball with the students; pole vaulted, and had a Christmas party. During the first month of school, she whipped twelve to eighteen a day, and they began to believe she meant what she said.
Miss Verla had a successful year and one of the parents, Mr. Pashek, rode his mule twenty miles over the mountain to ask the superintendent to send Miss Verla back, but he decided there were too many pupils and too many grades for one teacher and did not return.
Family names of the Glade Creek students and community include:
Angel, Bailey, Pashek, and Zizku (Ziska).